The strategic foundation for CAI's development capabilities is our proprietary Capital Analysis and Performance Strategy (CAPSSM). Traditional approaches often view problems through a single domain specific lens (e.g. health, political). CAPS, on the other hand:
- Analyzes problems and produces solutions using multiple lenses that correspond to seven capital forms (Political, Natural, Economic, Infrastructure, Cultural, Social, and Human).
- Recognizes the capital forms are related and interdependent where a change in one may dramatically influence others.
- Is a holistic approach focused on doing and responding to needs with sustainable solutions.
The goal of CAPS is four-fold:
- A disciplined analysis to clearly define the problem, root causes, and relationships among the seven capital forms—the as is state. The relationships among the capital forms in this as-is state guides recognition of root causes and solutions. This ensures solutions do not promote efforts in one capital form while producing negative impacts on others.
- Existing efforts are reviewed. Decisions to maintain them as best practices or divest them are informed by the analysis of the as-is state.
- Potential solutions are prioritized using a variety of metrics including direct and indirect return on investment. These metrics are derived from quantitative and qualitative variables with well established relationships to the capital forms.
- A locally led holistic approach with immediate implementation ensures the knowledge, skills, and associated capabilities are transitioned to the project country in a sustainable manner.
Please contact us for a complete overview of the CAPS model and how it can benefit your programs, projects and other needs.